Physiotherapists are important member of paediatric rehabilitation team. They are expert in gross motor function, postural control, any type of contracture, deformity or tightness in children with special needs. Physiotherapy is primarily concerned with rehabilitation and recuperation of people with movement disorders which may have been present from birth, acquired through accident or injury, or as a result of ageing or life challenging events. Physiotherapy helps recovery from injury and reduces pain and stiffness. Pediatric physiotherapy deals with the treatment of children who need range of motion, strength, coordination, postural control, quality of movement and gross motor development. Paediatric physiotherapy plays an integral role in comprehensive rehabilitation of children with
- Cerebral palsy
- Delayed milestones
- Congenital syndromes
- Traumatic brain injury
- Premature birth or
- Any post surgical orthopedic conditions
Early diagnosis and treatment help children to improve their functional mobility & strength.
Process of Physiotherapy
- Physiotherapist assesses the child’s condition, diagnoses the problem and devises a treatment plan that suits child’s general health and needs.
- Depending on child’s condition, the therapist focuses on developing various age appropriate developmental or functional skills.
- Physiotherapist may use special positions, exercises, cushions, braces, balls, casts and splints as part of therapy program.
- Regular monitoring of child’s progress
- Modification in intervention program as the child improves, develops and grows.
- Educating the parents on various exercises and treatment and involve them in the therapy sessions.
Physiotherapists have specific skills required to assess, care and motivate children. They work closely with all those involved in the developmental process of the child including families, teachers, doctors and other health professionals. Reviviscence Rehab Physiotherapy for children which deals with the stretching of tight muscles and stimulating the reciprocal muscles using manual techniques. Intervention completely deals with motor development or stretching of specific muscles, which helps in relieving pain due to tightness/spasticity.